A note from Allie:
Hey A-Listers! To help you always look and feel your best - take a look (below the photo) at these 12 tips that I've used throughout my styling-career to make sure my clients (and myself!) feel confident and love the way they look on their big day or night out (and always!).
1. Start with a GREAT CANVAS. Make sure your hair, skin, teeth and nails are all in top shape. These are areas to invest in. That way you are ACCENTING - NOT HIDING .
2. (My Favorite) DRESS ABOVE THE TABLE. When you're with others - for example: a meeting, going to lunch or dinner, a date, a cocktail party, girl's night - (wherever really!) - Your most memorable, marketable, selfie/photo-opt, conversational, air-kiss, midnight kiss "AREA" is ABOVE THE TABLE (aka: Above the waist). And while we LOVE a great pair of Louboutins here at The A-List - chances are most people at events or meetings are not going to see them. People are talking to you face to face - Keep the majority of "interest" above the table to draw attention and look radiant and festive. (ps: Those amazing heels are for YOU. They're your pillars of strength and confidence so rock those for sure. Just remember - others will be looking higher).
3. Think of makeup as an ACCESSORY. It's a great (and less expensive) way to experiment with seasonal trends and colors and it's perfect for HIGHLIGHTING your best assets! Add false lashes and shimmering eye shadow to brighten your eyes. Use a shimmer lipgloss over your regular lip-color to draw attention to your gorgeous mouth. Go from desk-to-dinner with a swish of liquid eyeliner to create a sultry cat-eye.
4. SELF TANNER is a liquid miracle. It can be transforming... dare we say slimming?! Exfoliate first, then moisturize dry areas like your elbows, heels and knees, then apply. In winter months, after your shower, moisturize all over BEFORE you apply the self tanner (yes!). That way, it won't be as dark. You want to look more "Apres-ski-sun-kissed" than "Pool-party-Miami". Another Stylist Trick: For sexy, smooth looking legs in cooler months: Start with putting on a pair of nude pantyhose and then ADD a pair of FISHNET pantyhose OVER them. (black or even NUDE fishnets). It's a classic 'stage' trick!
5. As a part of your "Kick-It-Up-A-Notch Resolution" - trying wearing COLOR FOR NIGHT. To ease into it - try a winter-white jacket or burgundy blouse paired with a pair of familiar black pants or a pencil skirt. Steal-the-Show in brilliant magenta or citrine. Stylist Trick: Pair your bright blouse or dress with sparkling earrings or a statement necklace to draw attention up and away from your hips or tummy. (Remember Tip #2 ... "Dress Above the Table").
6. Make your cocktail chatter and "toasts" more memorable... Wear a cocktail ring or TWO on the same hand for maximum sip-appeal.
7. Use The C-Word... CLEAVAGE. Why not? It doesn't have to be Playmate-push-up-cleavage - even just a bit of a lower neckline paired with a GREAT BRA (which should already be in your lingerie-drawer anyway) will do the trick. (there it is again...Dress above the table!).
8. Show some skin. If The C-Word (above) isn't your thing... how about world renown, fashion designer, Donna Karan's no-fail option: SHOULDERS. A one-shoulder top, dress or gown is sexy without being too showy.
9. If you do decide to show a bit of skin - one of my steadfast rules is: "Pick Your Poison". Make your fashion choices MORE MEMORABLE by NOT OVERDOING IT. Pick ONE area to show-off. If you choose a cleavage baring top - wear a slim skirt or pant. If you're wearing a mini dress to show off all those squats you did at the gym - then keep it more subtle on top and use brilliant accessories. If you choose a sparkly dress, pair it with a nude, black or single color shoe.
10. Remember to BALANCE. For example, if you wear a flowy top - keep your pant or skirt slim. If you wear a flowy bottom - keep your top or blouse closer to your body. It doesn't have to be tight - You just don't want 'tent'. Where accessories are concerned - Large earrings are balanced nicely with a bracelet and ring(s). A Statement necklace works best with stud earrings and a cuff bracelet or stack of bangles. Large earrings AND a statement necklace are usually best left for the editorials.
11. Ideally, instead of spending 2 hours shopping for something that doesn't make your butt look big - spend an hour of that at the GYM. You'll at least tighten things up a bit and definitely feel more confident after. (We LOVE these workouts).
12. And finally - whatever you decide to wear... Wear it with confidence! You've arrived at the party and there's no curling irons, straightening irons or back-up dresses to turn to now. Just enjoy yourself and STOP thinking about what you could of, would of or should of worn...take Supermodel, Christie Brinkley's advice and always SMILE.